Sunday, May 26, 2024

See Dere Cedar Stumps, Plus One, Sizing Up

 

This topic is a followup to March's "See Dere Cedar Stumps" (article, video). At that time, I noted nine cedar (ashe juniper) stumps. Six of those trees got damaged and needed removing only last year because of Arborgeddon in my area (article, video).

During a recent backyard weed-pull session, I saw that I overlooked yet another cedar stump. I took a new set of pix. For good measure, I used primarily an 18" transparent drafting scale and a wooden yardstick. Previously, I used a metal tape measure that was unwieldy although doable enough.

For this set of images, I emphasized ascending cut-surface spans, scaling the images in reference to each other and also including span dimensions. View the images from smallest to largest spans, which range from just under 8" to almost 23". (The plus-one stump is mid-range size—~12 1/4.) Note the stumps' irregular perimeters, and lack of roundness and symmetry.

"Ashe Juniper" mentions "easily recognized by its irregular shape, fluted, twisted trunk". The site describes it in deeper detail for characteristics and environs. Various images round out the info.


Related: "See Dere Cedar Stumps" article | video

No comments: