Thursday, December 29, 2022

End of 2022 Re-viewing Bur Oak, Deer Bookends

 

Earlyish December, I returned to the scene of the bur oak tree that I visited the day before Halloween. I spotted an unusual-looking acorn, even weirder than typical walnut-sized with dreadlock-look cap. The shell was cracked open, but the unit still together.

I took it home and stored it, intending to open it up some time in the near future. Close to Christmas, I returned to the tree to take its pic and look for more acorn specimens.

On the day after I recorded indoor clips of me examining those acorns, I went out for a walk a few hours later. I spotted a buck and decided to record it leisurely chomping on acorns (too small to be bur oak acorns). Recalling that I had a deer clip from the same day as my late November bur oak tree recording, I dabbled with the thought of integrating bur oak and deer into a blog topic.

The late-November bur oak tree was actually an accidental encounter. I had initially spotted and recorded a group of does, at least half dozen. Upon tracking them from left to right, I spotted some bur oak acorns on the ground. (This tree and sample specimens are noticeable in "Bur Oak Trees Spotted and Acorns Piqued" (video, article).

My video contrasts a few of the specimens from the same tree. Does comprise the front bookend to the bur oak acorn re-viewing, and the buck serves as the back bookend. Ruminate over a few sleek ruminants that are rather common in my neck of the woods. As for the bur oak acorn samples, the latest one that I opened up broke up in three sections, but not cleanly. (One specimen that I collected resembles a Star Wars bb-8 astromech droid, Rosetta asteroid or bun do.


"Bur Oak Acorn, Walnut-sized Nut" (primer bur oak acorn info)
"Bur Oak Trees Spotted and Acorns Piqued"
"End of 2022 Re-viewing Bur Oak, Deer Bookends"


No comments: