Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Cicadas Overnite Early Aug 2021

On August 2 morning, I spotted 5 items—a live but nearly immobile cicada and four exuviae (exoskeletons). The cicada and an exuviae (Specimens A and B) were on one porch column. Another exuviae (Specimen C) was on the second column, and two (Specimens D and E) were on the third column. I don't believe the cicada had emerged from any of these exuviae, but maybe alighted in the area from elsewhere. (Nearly all of my cicada sightings have been empty-shell only.)

From past observations, cicadas abandoned their shells shortly after they molted and air-dried off. I observed one emerging cicada and periodically recorded and pic'd it during a few hours. One last time that I went outside, the bug departed, leaving its shell stuck to the step. "Molting Cicada Visitor at My Doorstep" (video, article) details that event.

Note the similarity of the 2017 bug's backside mask look to the more recent Specimen A.

This year is apparently a banner year for cicadas, often referred to as "brood X" cicadas, the X being Roman numeral for ten (10). Much of the eastern part of US got their cicadas in May. My latecomers and others in the area seemed to arrive in July and early part of August. The following resources provide good background for this year's bounty:

Speaking of emerging cicada, "Periodical Cicada transformation timelapse" shows an excellent timelapse video of an cicada emerging. The digital clock display of more than 4 hrs running time compresses into a 2-minute video.


More articles about cicadas

2 comments:

Woody Lemcke said...

Nice write up. Cicadas remind me of childhood in Galveston county. They can produce such loud and somewhat synchronized sounds.

whilldtkwriter said...

Thanks! Yeah, those critters are really loud and obvious! Didn't see any more in our area except for what I pic'd. Cicadas, mostly their exuviae, gave me lots of material a few times in past years.