Tuesday, June 29, 2021

EZ Blender Hummus

A few weeks ago, I spotted a post on LinkedIn that pointed to "Homemade Hummus Dip". Some comments gave me ideas for substitutions so I might avoid winding up with excess, seldom-used ingredients. I needed to click "Read Directions" button to see instructions, but was glad the website show both ingredient and instruction sections compactly.

My hummus recipe is blender based; numerous other recipes call for using a food processor. Some replacements, considering ease of use or longevity or both (varying ratios):

  • Vinegar (subbing for lemon juice)
  • Sesame oil (subbing for tahini)
  • Garlic powder (subbing for garlic cloves)

Vinegar

Most recipes call for lemon juice. One called for both vinegar and lemon juice. I used vinegar because it's easy. I wanted to avoid overtarting the hummus, so used less sour fluid than called for (2 tablespoons instead of 3). "Substitutes for Lemon Juice" lists the ratio of white vinegar to lemon juice at 1/2:1.

Sesame Oil

Two commenters at the "Homemade Hummus Dip" website mentioned substituting the tahini with half the amount of sesame oil. Besides using half the amount of sesame ingredient, fewer calories and fluid.

Garlic Powder

Fresh garlic seems to show up in all hummus recipes I looked into. Even though real garlic is more authentic flavor, I didn't want to buy an entire garlic. I'd need to peel off three cloves, then hassle with skinning them or smacking them with a blade to make skin removal easier. Chunks would also need cutting up, chopping, slicing. or pulverizing. Pouring garlic powder's easy—1/8 teaspoon per clove!

Omission: Olive Oil

I noticed that numerous recipes called for olive oil, added after making the hummus. I omitted it as unnecessary and extra calories, even if it is supposed to be healthy. (Eateries that I've gotten hummus at don't pour it on.)

I noticed that numerous recipes called for olive oil, added after making the hummus. I omitted it as unnecessary and extra calories, even if it is supposed to be healthy. (Eateries that I've gotten hummus at don't pour it on.)

Recipe Process

My video has the following sections in addition to overall info:

  • Ingredients
  • Implements
  • Bean processing (draining, rinsing, loosening and removing bean skins, re-rinsing and re-draining). (Skinning the beans makes for smoother hummus.)
  • Blending (liquids and powders first, then the beans)
  • Finishing up (pouring into server, sprinkling paprika, serving or storing, stats

Recipe Afterthoughts

The process for separating the beans from skins was more involved than I anticipated. Why remove the skins? "How I get the shells off cooked CHICKPEAS (easy) - Steven Heap" shows a method. The best reasons for skins removal is just before the 3-minute mark.

My bean skin removal process didn't go as quickly and thoroughly as I'd hoped. For making hummus the next time, I'll use a deeper, bigger bowl and strainer, and also use a slotted spoon and spatula.

The finished hummus (10 1/2 oz yield) poured out thinner than I expected. Best to use less fluid at the onset. Be mindful of amount of fluid called for and how substitutions might affect viscosity.

On the second day, water started to separate from the hummus. I scooped the thicker stuff for consuming anyway. Ob the third day, I poured the rest into my salad greens and tossed. Tasty!

Read "EZ Blender Hummus, Closer Eying 4 Ease", which includes additional details and extra info. 

Note: "EZ Blender Hummus 2.0" YT video and blog article now available!


Stuck Blender Blade? Check and fix!
video, article

No comments: