Saturday, June 24, 2023

Soda Pop Layer Cake--Low-height N Rich, Hmm


This article emphasizes post-recipe thoughts and additional soda pop cake musings. Read "Soda Pop Layer Cake--Low-height N Rich, Yum" for resources and refs. View the video for step-by-step recipe.

Post-recipe Thoughts

I perused and collected some comments from two Betty Crocker sites after the cake bake.

"Cake Baking with Soda Pop" confirmed my guess about less cake result with soda pop cake recipe. Additional excerpted comments follow.

[Q] Why when we made this batter did we only get 1 cupcake tin? When we make the batter the normal way we get 2 cupcake tins of cupcakes.

[A]Because you have less batter. When you add eggs,oil, water etc you have a larger volume of batter. So more cupcakes.
[regular soda vs. diet comment] Regular soda did not make it too sweet. Diet soda is sweeter to me as far as taste."
[Q] Does the 1 [to] 2 minutes of beating not beat out the CO2? When making beer bread, it’s just stir gently until we’ll mixed.

[A] In this case, the batter will still hold enough gas to rise.
[Q] Can you make a sheet cake or layers with this method?

[A] we did not test this recipe with a pan or with a sheet cake method, therefore, we recommend using the [cupcake] cake tin.

From "Two-Ingredient Soda Pop Cupcakes"

[comment] We made the recipe exactly as it was written and made sure to use the electric mixer as directed.
[comment] The carbonation is required for this recipe and we do not recommend using flat soda."

Additional Soda Pop Cake Musings

The cartoon host advocated that both cake mix powder and soda pop be room-temperature. Over time, I've observed that warmer soda bubbles up more violently and longer than cold soda. As I keep cake mix in the pantry, powder temperature is no problem.

Numerous recipes I'd read or viewed show cake mix powder poured directly into a bowl, unsifted, before pouring the soda pop in. In one case, the baker might have improved her process by sifting first, as she bemoaned needing to squash powder lumps during the stirring.

I've occasionally run across recipes that call for sifting. I've sifted when I want to divide powder portions before weighing, such as for zebra or marble cakes. I've noticed bits of small particles trapped at the bottom of the strainer.

I've seen mixing processes range from gently stirring for 30 seconds or less to hand mixer for 1 minute low followed by 2 minutes medium to tilt-head KitchenAid mixing (speed and duration not easily determined). I intend to try electric mixing, but maybe after i try making a followup cake by shortening both the sifting and mixing process.

Musing Followup Cake

For a followup soda pop cake, I want to shorten the sifting and stirring processes.

Sifting took more time and effort than I expected. Planning to try a different strainer and larger spoon. Stirring was also more time-consuming. Planning to try a French/piano whisk instead of flat whisk. My Tupperware measuring pitcher (8 cups, 2 liters) would be helpful mostly for the pour/dispense stage, as I'd easily eyeball batter amount for each pan. Still likely to also use digital scale.


Alternative sifter (Tupperware tubular with crank handle), which I haven't used in many years. It's worth a shot for another soda pop cake iteration. I see online availability, several missing parts. An eye-catcher, for $24.99.

After making the followup cake, I might try using a mixer. Fingers crossed that I don't wind up with pancake-height layers!


Soda Pop Layer Cake--Low-height N Rich, Yum
Soda Pop Layer Cake--Low-height N Rich, Hmm
Video: Soda Pop Layer Cake--Low-height N Rich

Soda Pop Layer Cake Followup (article, video)

2 comments:

Woody Lemcke said...

Thanks for yet more details! You're a chef and technician.

whilldtkwriter said...

YW! Be sure to visit the followup cake article and vid for improved process.