Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Pt 1 Overhead Wraparound Tunic from 60" x 24" Fleece Piece

Awhile ago, I bought a mustard yellow fleece piece that measured 24" (2/3 yard), 60" wide. I wanted to create something to go with a yellowy big-weave poncho and knit hat I've had for a long time. Although I initially considered making it a cape or poncho, the result is my "overhead wraparound tunic".

The laid-out item (front to back) measures about 30" x 45", having cut the piece in two and rotating them for stitching together. The video shows still images for the steps. It also shows how to put it on and use the ties to attach.

My tunic, besides minimizing waste material, required few seams. I staystitched the neckline and also sewed a flat cord (some remnant wide twill tape, I think) to reinforce it. I don't remember when or why I bought the tape, or its original length. Etsy displays reasonable examples. Long story short, I experimented with modeling cut, orientation, and fastening locations and methods.

During the project, it occurred to me that lightweight material is usable for a cooler-weather tunic. I actually have some lightweight patterned material from a long time ago that I could measure out for a summery version tunic. If I were to create it, I'd prefer a longer length.

Fleece Material

Fleece material is not sheep fleece. It feels like flannel, but requires different sewing treatment. It requires more slack tensionings and thread-per-inch settings. The plus side is no hems needed, as stated in "How to Make a Fleece Poncho" and "How to Sew a Fleece Poncho – DIY Poncho Tutorial"

I traveled a circuitous route, with lots of decisions in moving from intending to make a cape/poncho to overhead wraparound tunic. BTW, I later read that my fleece pre-treatment was not necessary, which "How to Sew with Fleece, Useful Sewing Information for a Beginner" addresses in the "Should I pre-wash the fleece?" section.

Tunic, Not Poncho, Cape, or Cloak

After completing my project, I hunted for garments that it might resemble. Most images tended to show open-front overlap garments with ties. Two garments that loosely resemble my result are Siggi BRIGIT iluteenindaja kimono and a beautician tunic. A vintage McCall's apron/tunic paper pattern incorporates an over-head design, with rounded corners at the hems. The open sides with ties contrast with my wraparound fastenings.

Why did I consider my result to be a tunic? QA at Google results for "what makes a tunic a tunic" provides some reasonable explanations:

  • "usually simple in style, reaching from the shoulders to a length somewhere between the hips and the knees"
  • "loose-fitting shirt that looks sort of like a long shirt or a short dress"
  • "loose-fitting upper garment that is longer than a shirt"

"Pt 2 Overhead Wraparound Tunic (Not Poncho, Cape, Cloak)" has more details about the drapey garments (poncho, cape, cloak) that I mentioned in passing. It includes additional fleece resources.

No comments: