Friday, December 31, 2021

2021 Christmas Decorations Tour

In late 2020, I'd posted "Pre-pandemic Neighborhood Christmas Decorations--Yea, 2019" with video link. I didn't even bother to collect images for 2020 Christmas.

Why 2019 Christmas decorations? Partly because I had pix that I didn't get around to organizing. Another reason is my mental contrasting what I've seen this year to what I'd taken pix of last year. Seems this year I've seen fewer balloons (varieties and quantity).

As I recorded this week's visuals, I sensed subduedness similar to last year in decorations. One site seems to physically epitomize the mood, although maybe coincidental. I recognized many of the inflatables, rearranged in different areas than 2019. However, two had been deflated since a day or two before Christmas. Several inflatables were airless even on Christmas day, the day I thought would most likely display festive, jolly puffiness.

I had picked Christmas day and day after to capture sights. It was good I captured a few on the 25th. By the next day, two were already removed. As of today, I noticed more empty spots. Maybe the unseasonably warm conditions have inspired people to remove wintry sights.

The 2019 tour video differs a bit from this year's tour video. In 2019, I took still pix at 16 sites, some in the day time, some at night. This year, I recorded clips from 26 sites, all during daylight. Seems the most dominant decorations include Santa, deer/reindeer, decorated-tree balloons or adorned trees, snowmen, and baby penguins.

As I started organizing my project clips, I initially felt the pandemic pall colored my perception of the decorations. As I continued the process, my spirits lifted. In comparing my 2021 captures to my 2019 (pre-pandemic) captures, I notice more and varying images, not fewer. Hope you enjoy the ride and sights! May 2022 be more joyous than 2020 and 2021!

No comments: