Thursday, December 12, 2019

Creating a YouTube Playlist Really Fast

In 2012, I wrote my previous blog articles WRT creating YouTube playlists with YT newbies in mind. (I'd been more of a newbie back then.) My newer method streamlines the process to minimal steps and window hopping.

Long ago, I set up playlists for music selections that reflect blog article topics. Keeping the playlists up-to-date have been problematic because of some owners removing videos or changing the public status to private. After having occasionally revisiting playlists and updating them, I no longer prioritize URL replacements.

What prompted me to revisit creating YT playlists? Two incentives: Replicating a set of cartoons on a VHS tape that didn't list the entire contents, and wanting to create recent thematic playlists for videos I'd created over time.

Scroll to near the end of this article for the playlist-creation procedure.

VHS-tape Cartoons

I had a VHS tape of cartoons ("Woody Woodpecker and Friends") that I wanted to be able to view without risking wearing out the VCR. The set info on the box is not very helpful; it lists only 12 of the 22 stories. I looked high and low on the web for the full listing. Neither VHS tape nor DVD version is available for sale. The closest info I found were both from WorldCat.org, which lists libraries that have them, no place close to home.

From one "Woody Woodpecker & Friends—"Diamond Entertainment Two hours of classic cartoons, 2003, DVD"

From another "Woody Woodpecker & Friends"—Distributed by Diamond Entertainment Corp., ©2000."

I finally resorted to playing the entire tape over two days, jotting down the titles, main characters, copyright year, in play order. I found all of the cartoons on YouTube. The playlist I created reflects the VHS tape's videos and order, but better quality. For two of the stories, I included links to additional versions because of quality issues—Robinhood Makes Good and Greedy Humpty Dumpty.

Thematic Playlists

Do you have a sizable collection of your own videos? Maybe some that are about similar topics? Create playlists with themes in mind. Set up the play order, and change them whenever you want.
This year, I started posting videos that did not correlate with same-name blog articles. I called them "Eye-caught Snippets" and put them into a playlist. More recently, I decided to create playlists for bugs , deer, and kitchen doings.

Creating the YouTube Playlist Really Fast

Assumptions are that you are familiar with YouTube and have a YouTube account.

Hint: Before starting the playlist process, first create a list that has columns for title and link. The list helps with easy navigation to the video and adding it to the playlist.
  1. Log in to YouTube.
  2. Navigate to a video.
  3. Click the Save button. (You must be logged in so you can save.)
  4. When the playlist window opens, click the playlist you want to save the selection to.
    (If you don't have a playlist for this purpose yet, click "New playlist", and follow the prompts.)
  5. Click the "X" at the upper right to complete the save process.
  6. Open a second YouTube window, click the Playlist tab, and select the playlist you're working on.
    Occasionally refresh the list to confirm the added item.
  7. Repeat the actions for navigating to a video and saving it until you're done.

Previous how-to's for creating a YouTube playlist

No comments: