Monday, December 16, 2013

McCormicky-Libbyish Pumpkin Pie

Last month, I published "Which Pumpkin Pie?" that described ranges of ease and cost—fast and expensive, or laborious and cheap. For this article I'm publishing the method I used. For the ease, I bought frozen pie shells, canned pumpkin, and condensed milk. I already have cinnamon and nutmeg. Deviating from most recipes I ran across, I added vanilla and sesame oil (a favorite flavoring of mine).

Ingredients and Mixing
The table shows ingredients for the recipes from Libby's, McCormick, and me.
Libby's
McCormick
Me
1 pie shell
15-oz can pumpkin
2 eggs
14-oz can condensed milk
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

12-oz can evaporated milk


3/4 C sugar


1 t cinnamon

1/2 t ginger


1/4 t cloves


1/2 t salt


1/2 t nutmeg

1 t vanilla

1 t sesame oil

  1. Preheat oven to 425°.
  2. In a medium-large bowl, beat eggs. (Both recipes used wire whisks. Have also spotted use of a wooden spoon, a rubber spatula.)
  3. Stir spices and fluid flavorings into the eggs mixture, then add the condensed milk and pumpkin.
  4. Pour mixture into a pie shell. (I used the Pet Ritz deep-pie, 6-oz shell that already is in its own aluminum pan. Costs the same as the shallow, 5-oz pan.)
  5. Place pie into a wider pan in case of filling overflow. (Libby's suggested a foil-lined pan.) Bake at 425° for 15 minutes.
  6. Reduce temperature to 350° and bake for 40-50 minutes. Insert a knife to test for filling doneness. Libby's recipe says to insert the knife NEAR the center. (Forty minutes was perfect for my pie.)
  7. Cool on wire rack (about 2 hrs).
  8. Serve nekkid (~270 calories) or with whipped cream (ooh la la). :-)
Handy Links

No comments: